What Blue Back Dental is Doing to Keep You and Our Team Safe
We are excited to have the opportunity to welcome you back! Blue Back Dental has always utilized personal protective equipment (PPE) and infection control measures that have exceeded all the CDC guidelines, however, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic we have instituted additional guidelines and protocols to ensure your safety.
We have trained and educated our team regarding COVID-19 and have enhanced some of our office protocols to ensure the highest level of safety and health. You will see many changes, as we have new ways of scheduling your appointments and managing your insurance and financial transactions. First, you will be contacted 48-72 hours prior to your appointment via phone, text or email and asked a set of health-related questions.
It is required that you complete our COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire prior to your appointment. We will have to reschedule your appointment if we are unable to complete this step. We have developed a comprehensive checklist of recommendations and guidelines that will be implemented at each and every stage of the patient visit.
As always we will continue to:
- Disinfect all surfaces in the dental operatories, such as the dental chair, dental light, drawer handles and countertops, with medical grade disinfectants that kill 99.9% of all harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Use disposable protective coverings on high contact areas of our equipment which are disposed of and replaced after each patient visit.
- Sterilize non-disposable items such as dental tools and instruments between patients using hospital grade sterilization equipment. Our sterilization equipment is monitored and tested on a regular basis.
- Use appropriate protective equipment such as gloves, masks, gowns and eyewear. This is called PPE or “Personal Protective Equipment” and this protects both the patient and the treatment team.
- Disinfect our hands in between every patient interaction, before putting on a new pair of gloves and mask.
Below is a list of some of the enhanced precautions we have taken to protect you in addition to extensive team training on infection control and patient management procedures due to COVID-19.
What we require from our patients:
- Our office will communicate with you beforehand to ask some COVID-19 screening questions that are included below. Please also fill out the questionnaire linked below on the day of your appointment.
- We will limit how germs can enter the office, starting from the time you call, with telephone screening to recognize potential carriers. We will also offer teledentistry appointments on an as needed basis. If you are sick, running a fever, coughing or not feeling well, please reschedule your appointment and do not enter the office. We are happy to reschedule your appointment at no charge and we thank you for considering the health of others. If you have traveled to any areas outside of U.S. within two weeks of your scheduled appointment, please contact our office and reschedule. (CDC Travel)
- Arrive at the parking garage 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time and call our office at 860-233-9300 before leaving your car. Our front desk team will validate your parking over the phone and verify that you have submitted the screening questionnaire.
- We require hand washing and hand sanitizing before all appointments by our team and by our patients. The keycode for the hallways restrooms are posted in the office. We ask that all patients use the hand sanitizer station upon entering the waiting room.
- We ask that only the scheduled patient (or one parent if the patient is a minor) come into the office for their appointment. Any companion will also need to answer the screening questions.
- We have implemented a “No Handshaking Policy” and have put up signs throughout the office to reflect this.
- A mask or cloth face covering is required by ALL patients and companions upon entering the office, in accordance with the CDC’s recommendation. If you would like a mask, please ask someone at the front desk, and you will be given a mask to wear in the waiting room for your safety. You will not need the mask when you are being treated as your doctor and treatment team will be wearing their PPE which includes them wearing masks which will protect you.
- When you arrive we have reorganized our reception area to respect social distancing.
- We will take your temperature with a touchless thermometer to make sure you are not running a fever, in fact, all Blue Back Dental Team members will be screened every single day. Anyone with a temperature greater than 100.4 degrees will need to be rescheduled.
- All patients will rinse with an antimicrobial mouthrinse to reduce exposure to germs at every patient visit.
- We request that you inform Blue Back Dental if any changes in your health that occurs within 14 days after appointment.
What we have implemented for your safety:
- A team member has been assigned to wipe down and disinfect all high traffic surfaces including the countertops at the lobby, door handles and the reception desk. These contact surfaces will be sanitized after patient encounters and throughout the day.
- Anti-Viral Misting technology will be used to disinfect air and surface, similar to cruise ship and airline protocols. Mist/Fogger News: United Airlines
- Protective shields or “Sneeze guards” have been installed in our front desk area and consultation room.
- In our waiting area as well as in each operatory, we are installing a Surgical Clean Air Ambient Air Scrubber JADE 4-stage HEPA certified air disinfectors that utilizes a True HEPA Filter with Antimicrobial Treatment and UV light to safely remove 99.995% of airborne particles including viruses, pollen, ragweed & other allergens, dust mites, mold spores & smoke. See this Air Scrubbing video for more information. The carbon filter also removes odors and captures large airborne particles. Visit SCA Dental to view supporting research.
- A respiratory protection program for our clinical team involving fit-tested N-95 or higher masks
- Enhanced barriers, state of the art Isodry dental isolation and vacuum protocols
- Longer appointment times for you to prepare and complete all appointment protocols in the safest and most comprehensive manner.
- Payment arrangements in advance to avoid delay and allow contactless exit from the appointment.
When you are in treatment elevated protocol of infection controls will be carried out throughout the duration of your visit to ensure your safety. With the immense amount of resources we have invested and the amount of time we have spent training our team, we know that we will continue to be a hub of safety, health and wellness for years to come. We look forward to seeing you at your next visit. Underneath the additional personal protective equipment that will be worn at all times, rest assured that our friendly smiles are still underneath those masks!
Blue Back Dental Doctors and Team
Links to additional resources:
● Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations
● Public Health Personnel Evaluating at Home or Non-Home Residential Settings
● Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure
● American Dental Association: What Constitutes a Dental Emergency